Today I finished a 6 year old UFO. Back in 2004, I bought kits for my friend (Suzanne) and I to make these totes over a weekend when I visited her.
We were both excited to make it, but soon after starting it, we both ended up frustrated. Neither of us could get the border around the center square to fit and the instructions in the pattern were no help. I chalked it up to being a beginner quilter back then, as I’m sure my friend did also. So, we both tossed them in the deep recesses of our closets, to be worked on some day, when we felt we were up to the task.
So, 6 years later and now more advanced in my quilting abilities, I decided to dig it out this week. I ripped the border off the blocks and started from scratch. I soon discovered that I ran into the very same problem with that dang triangle border. I sewed all the pieces together and it was almost an inch longer than the center square. But this time I wasn’t going to let it get the best of me. I ripped out the triangles, again, and made an adjustment to how I was aligning the triangles before sewing with my scant 1/4″ and voila, it finally worked. The third time was the charm. Once that hump was over, the rest came pretty smoothly. The original pattern only specified to put one quilt square on the tote and then a solid piece on the other side, but I decided it needed a square on both sides. So here’s a picture of the other side.
So, one ancient UFO down, many, many more to go.
Now onto a brand new project. This week at our EGA meeting, I will be handing out pattern packets and linen for the members to make “A Patchwork Gardenball Pincusion” by Twisted Oaks Designs. And of course I had to make some adjustments….I just can’t help it sometimes. The model was done with various colors of 28-ct linen, primarily in the light brownish tones. But I thought this piece needed more color and chose 6 colors of pastel Belfast linens (Angel Blush, Ice Blue, Ray of Light, Lilac, Apricot and Mint). I also ordered the Dinky Dye silks the pattern called for, but see if you don’t agree:
I wasn’t happy with them. The dye lots must be very different from the ones used in the original. The dark and light purples are the biggest offenders. The dark purple is in the cooler range whereas the lighter purple is on the warmer side. Then I thought the light pink and blue were too pale and needed to be more of a medium shade. The green was fine, but I mistook the brown for a deep gold at first (though the picture makes it look more brown). Don’t get me wrong, these colors are beautiful, but they just don’t coordinate together.
I’m letting the EGA members make their own decisions on what thread to use. Maybe some of them will order the silks and get better results with their dye lots. But I decided to go the DMC route. I used, 3765/3766 (blues), 3803/3688 (pinks), 552/554 (purples, 367 (green) and 433 (brown). I wanted to get as much of the pieces stitched before the meeting this Thursday to give folks an idea of what they can use. I’m almost done:
I just need to finished the last motif on the lilac linen and stitch the final panel of mint linen. Then I can add the gold beads to each and assemble it into the ball.