I haven’t made much of a dent in my needlework the past few months. Since my last post, I’ve been to a quilting retreat, a needlework retreat, the EGA National Seminar, the Pacific International Quilt show, a trip to Iowa to visit family and a bunch of smaller events in between. Last weekend was the first since August where I didn’t have any plans. While I have enjoyed what has been keeping busy, it was nice to just stay home for a change. It was also a good weekend to be home so I could watch the final games of the World Series. I don’t normally watch baseball, or other sports for that matter. But as someone who lives in the Bay Area, I got swept up in the excitement. Way to go Giants!
I finally put some real time into my needlework this week, especially today because it was cold and wet out. I pulled out an old UFO, my “Toy Chest Etui” by Betsy Morgan.
I finished most of the front and one side panel of the toy box. I ended up having to rip out the two colors of arches above the horse on the side panel because I realized the chart was incorrect. It was two threads lower than the same border on the front panel on the right. I wish I would have notice before I stitched it the first time, but better to figure it out now. If I hadn’t, I would have been frustrated and disappointed when I went to assemble the box and the two borders didn’t match up. I’m going to have to let Betsy know so she make the correction, if she hasn’t done so already. I took this class with my guild back in 2008 and we were the first class she taught this piece to. Now that she’s been teaching the piece for a couple years, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone else has mentioned it to her.
After she taught our class, Betsy designed another piece for the box after someone in our group suggested the toy box needed a doll. She designed a scissor sheath that has an amish man on one side and an amish woman on the other…an adorable addition. She gave us the pattern so we could add it to our Etui. I heard she also designed another companion piece, but I believe you have to purchase that one. I’ll have to look into that later. For now, I have plenty to do on what I already have.
To ensure I have enough linen to include the scissor sheath, I took the time to baste out the placement of all the pieces. I don’t normally do this because it takes time that I’d rather spend stitching. I’m sure glad I decided to this time. To maximize my piece of linen, I spaced each piece an inch apart, so they all had a 1/2″ seam allowance for finishing. And wouldn’t you know it, I have just enough linen to do them all. Phew! There’s no way I would have fit each piece on the linen without those basting lines. Now I can stitch with some peace of mind. The only thing I have to wonder about now is if I have enough thread from the kit. Guess I’ll find out :^)